Can Distance Bring Light ?

A thin line has now come between us. Earlier we used to be so close that even air could not come between us. This separation is more like the horizon that bifurcates the sky and the water bodies into two but still does not belong to either of them. An elongated point that stretched the entirety of our existence has now divided us. You and I were so close to each other that there was darkness and that blackness represented the muted calmness that one wants in love. It was peaceful.

But now we do not even see each other. It’s like we are on separate pages altogether. I see this bright light which causes blindness because I have never used my eyes. Until now, I had only felt, perceived and touched your existence but now your thoughts are all I have. You were next to me and I was before you, tucked away from the world’s prying eyes.

As I start to get used to this new light, I see a blurry image of a pair of eyes staring at me. Yes, in those eyes I now see you once more. But in those reflective eyes I also saw other emotions and they were not a reflection of mine. This new being is now feeling something for I see him surprised, lost in his own world of thoughts. Our separation has brought new arenas of joy into this being’s mind. Our parting has not only filled our world with light but his world too. Indeed, distance can bring light.


But what do we know? We are just numbers written on top of the pages of a novel. Step by step we move up in counting. When the novel is not open, we are together but in our selfish motives the world never knows about the letters, words, sentences and punctuation marks that we hold. Now, as the reader is about to finish its two pages and turn to the next, we-the two numbers shall be united again. But before our meeting, we have enjoyed the fruits of separation too, we share love but honor each other more. As the pages meet, all my partner has to say to the next page is sometimes being apart is brighter than being close, so do not fret over separation for it only temporary. Just look at the knowledge that we two numbers of a book have brought to the reader, light and dark the balance is maintained once more. 


Comments