The Language Constriction

Now, I might be of a short stature here, when I say that sometimes I feel my thoughts are constricted by the bounds that are represented by a particular language barrier. Maybe it’s because I don’t know have an enriched vocabulary or maybe there are too many words to remember and also I might be lacking in the ability to recall and use the right phrases at a particular suitable instant.

But what I feel is that the language was developed by the top class people or the so called high minded people so that they can convey their thoughts to the feeble minded, thoughts which would make them the natural selected rulers. The weak minded gazed and listened with amazement to these words, which rang a bell of resonance that a person with such strong voice and astounding choice of words must be great. We started looking for a voice in our leaders through their words rather than in our own unique thoughts and our own individualistic tone.

And I am not being completely negative here, as language has its part to play in the communication process, which has become very essential to us, the mankind. But what bothers me is that we take the term illiteracy to be absolute. I mean on Earth, yes, we humans have developed some media of talking and reciprocating, but what and how would we talk to a species entirely different to ours coming from a far away planet than ours. Wouldn’t we all seem illiterate to them and they to us. Then where would this knowledge of such rich grammar and literature go and how would its application come about. After all we are just a speck of dust on this sand beach with ocean waves bringing in new withered stones every day.

Geometry might be a universal language. Shapes are shapes everywhere; a sphere here on earth will be a sphere on some far away galactic settlement, although it might be known by some different name there. Maybe I am looking for an excuse because my command over a particular language is not up to the mark.
I can still convey some thoughts in English, Hindi and Punjabi but to represent my thoughts in geometry would be a tough call especially if it were task to show true emotions. For my mind is full of thoughts, and my geometry is not of great ranks either.



Comments