Nest for Sale



My humble abode lies on a branch of a beautiful, lush green and tall tree. In summers it shelters me and my family from scorching sun although the tree’s leaves provide most of the shade. Not a particular resting place for all seasons, but it is my home. In my eyes it is the best, for I have built it with my own beak and claws. I don’t have hands and fingers, for I have evolved into a flying creature, I have wings and feathers. I am a house sparrow and this is my write-up to the human race. Particularly, this is intended for the people residing in Delhi the so called Delhi-ites. This is an advertisement as to why I am selling my CRIB.

I am the state bird of Delhi. “State Bird”-the title has a lot of weight, value and respect attached to it. I am a small bird receiving so much respect. Thank you Delhi-ites for instilling in me a sense of false pride.  Have you people noticed that I and my whole species are visible less in this Union Territory? Have you missed my chirpings lately? Are you aware that the cellphone towers and their waves are troubling me and my sparrow friends? You modern beings, you care for your cell phone reception more than my survival. It is indeed survival of the fittest. I am small, petite and less vocal. So, my voice would indeed be the first one to be silenced in the bustle of the human progress. Mobile towers-source of radiation for one and source of connection for other, one species dying, one thriving. 

March 20, world sparrow day. Days are created but no activities are done to help me and my species. The environment department of Delhi doesn’t even know what I look like, for they had accepted that they used some other sparrow’s photograph and not mine (House sparrow), how much irony is here. What if the same thing had had happened with a wanted-criminal poster? What if someone else was arrested on the basis of this wrong photo? Would the same message be conveyed? ("For a large part of the public, the bird in the ad is a sparrow and it becomes immaterial that it is the wrong species. We managed to get the message across. The difference would have been evident to only a trained eye. However, such an error should not have happened and will recur in future," said an environment department official.)

I have already described my home, my nest to you. So if you are interested in buying kindly contact soon. Price is negotiable, but I know I won’t be getting a rupee for I will be evicted far sooner. I will fade away from the memories; I will not take your airspace any more. The lesser the chirpings with the rising sun the better would be the human sleep. Earth is bountiful, Earth is free, but it is you the humans who put restrictions on a free bird like me. Cage me, leave a wave of radiation in the air and just eliminate me. But remember human, I am a part of the same the same food chain, one link breaks the domino effect will start. My fate will be your fate. Anyone please buy my home, for my life is short and I have to build another one in some other still clean city.

P.S:- I am not aware of the format to write a proper advertisement and I don’t care.
Listen to Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd.

Comments