A Lonesome Bench

A Lonesome Bench


Chained to the ground, my locomotion is restricted. I feel grounded at times, humble and down to earth at other moments. Mostly I am featured in the color green. Green the color of the trees, green so that I can blend in with the surroundings. When nobody cares for me I catch the metal cancer-rust. But even then I am amiable, mixable with the brown shade of the bark of trees, with the fallen twigs and rotten the grass. 

I am a place to rest for the traveler. I don’t charge anything, I can’t ask as I can’t speak. All I do is hearing. Sometimes I can define the boundary between hearing and listening. I am not an eavesdropper, but I am an excellent secret keeper. I love the conversations that take place as people relax on me. Friends talking on any random stuff, lover’s sharing their hearts and thoughts, kids using me as a musical instrument to play various sounds, so much activity. But at night I am lonely, be it winters, summers or rainy weather, I stand my ground. Occasional squirrels and birds are my companion, but they also need their sleep. So I have a lot of time to spare in my solitude. To ponder and to look at the sky at night-the moon, the stars and the dark clouds. Oh, what beautiful these natural things are. I am just an artificial being, a non-breather, a silent observer.

But these days I see a communication breakdown. People sit on me but they speak very less or they don’t speak at all. They are always holding some bright and well lit object in their hands. I feel their smiles and their sorrows, but their true emotion I am unable to capture. My messengers are:- moon, wind and clouds. But humans have a mobile phone now. Direct connection is possible. Virtual yet real. What sharp minds these humans have. I too want to connect with someone, but I don’t have any fingers and my hands are tied too.
Another day passes by, another night arrives. 

Today a homeless person sleeps on me. I am happy that the weather is not too extreme, for this lonesome soul can rest in the darkness just like me. Sleep my friend, I am sorry I cannot wrap you in my arms.

Comments