When a Chameleon wrote a letter.

The views in this letter are mine (Chameleon's), any resemblance to or judgement passed on a dead or living human is purely intentional.

Respected Humans,
I am nobody, just another link in this food chain. I hunt for my own food but still my predator skills are no match for humans. You people gave me a name, ‘Chameleon’; at first my species was elated and ecstatic by the fact that we were recognized and that our existence matters in this world.

But then things started to take a turn for the worse. The name 'Chameleon' became synonymous with the kind of people who show different colors in different situations for e.g. sweet talkers in front and then stabbers at the back. Why? Only because I change my skin color according to my environment? Even if you-the humans gave a generic name to my species, who gave you the right to use it in a negative effect? Some people look at me and despise me. They hate me; many superstitions have been made on me for e.g. if you see me changing colors something bad might happen to you. Don't you get it, I am merely adapting. If I don't mix with the surroundings I would become the prey.

And why are you humans so hypocritical? You also change your behavior, attitude, values and morals as it suites you. You too want to blend in with the society; you don't want to look like an outcast. You buy fancy cars, houses, gadgets, clothes etc. and all of different that in shades and colors. Maybe you should also be called a Chameleon, hurts doesn't it. You humans hide behind the masks of pretense; you lie at your own convenience and do so with such a skill that you can do it by looking into the listener’s eyes. I agree that everybody lies, even I do too. But you humans have mastered the art, for you are on top of the pyramid.

But beware human for I have a 360 degree vision I can see all around, but you can't. I am merely a lizard; I try to absorb whatever I see. But you sometimes even tend to ignore the things that are right in-front of your eyes. You ignore poverty, corruption, illiteracy, climate change and many more things. Some of you watch these things, but never do you really see them. You have the power of change, but still you never use it. I have a long tongue, my weapon in this cruel world. But you humans, even though you possess a smaller tongue according to me it is a weapon stronger than any weapon that the entire human race has ever developed. It can order to kill, it can hurt someone psychologically, it can demotivate someone and many other wrong doings can be accomplished by just a spoken word. If you stop using your tongue as a negative means to communicate, the society would benefit a lot. And about my hearing ability, I don’t have eardrums or ear openings but still I am not deaf but you humans on the other hand have a great hearing capacity but still you don't hear the cries, cries of the nature, and cries of the deprived. You are nothing but an ignorant mass of skin, bone, muscle, nerves and warm blood. You have a great conscience but still only a few humans act according to it.

Sorry for being so judgmental about the whole human race, but someone had to show you the mirror. And you should remember not to judge others if you can't judge yourselves. And also we are all a breathing force under the same living sun, even though with my ultraviolet vision the sun is different to me. So, in a way humans and chameleons are similar but still different and you have no right to spoil my name.
And also try to see the positive in me. I change myself according to scenario and you do too, so stop bitching about me behind my back.
P.S.-Sorry for any grammatical errors, I am still learning your language.

Yours,
Chameleon

Comments