A letter of caution from the Moon

I stand here, observing every creature. For you might be a living or an inanimate object, I see you. I give an undifferentiated but yet somehow principled guidance to each, as they tread on their paths. I can serve as a companion to the lonely heart for I am the one who truly understands. Everybody can see me, if they try, yet I am ignored by the one I want. I can illuminate the romantic flame for others; I can help the remove the remorse-fulness and sadness that surrounds. But I, myself am lonely, for you don’t look at me.

                                          “Oh you breathing creature,
                                          Why don’t you look at me?
                                          To bestow a feeling of romanticism on everyone is my feature,
                                          And yet somehow you are unaffected by it, but not me.”

Maybe it is because I have a permanent dark side. A perspective to me that no one really talks about but reality can never be concealed. Let me highlight some of the reasons on which I have pondered for a while, reasons as to why you won’t look at me.

-I have many faces
I am not the same every day, every day I wear a new face. They say that my face is so powerful that it can affect the oceans and seas, but still my lover is unaffected. Any power is useless if you cannot have what you want or rather what you need. But I must bring to light that I might have many faces but I wear no masks.

-I lack originality
The basic light of my soul is not original; I have to borrow it each day. Sometimes I feel like a beggar desperate for alms. I would beg till eternity, if that’s what it takes to get just one glimpse of you every day. And I know that my life is longer than yours but I wish to give away all those meaning less years spent without you. For I won’t be able want to shine, if your scent is not in the air.

-There is someone else whom you love
Through the nights I have seen you waiting for the new dawn to come. When the day is about to begin and the darkness is receding, I see you all jubilant. To be honest, sometimes I feel jealous. For again, before the night engulfs the Earth, you and your “someone else” are wrapped in the blanket of warmth, just as lovers are, when they are in love. My heart aches when you don’t even look at me. And from the humans’ English vocabulary I got to know that you and your “someone else”'s names are also similar. I know that I am cold, and that I am unable provide the right conducive temperature for the love to prosper. And without love no one can grow.

-The long distance between us
I know I am far off. And also the time gap between us makes it difficult sometimes. But maybe you don’t want to give it a try. I know I can travel places although I appear relatively stationary and I am aware that you have roots that hold you up, inhibiting the inherent need to move. But still I plead you to turn your face towards me once for a while longer. But I know you won’t. And I should not be putting all the blame on you for I am not so pure either. I have my deep scars too.

                                           “You wait for the sands of time to slip away,
                                            For when the moment shall arrive,
                                            And you will want the new dawn to stay,
                                            Infinite warmth of love you will derive.”

But let me warn you that this flame of your “some else” will burn you and consume you for it is in its nature. It can create and destroy. I am the one who preserves you; it is I who calm the day by sending it away. And I know you won’t accept it for you have never seen the truth in my eyes.

I hope you get this letter before it is too late, for I have written many letters one for each season. To be honest this is not my first love. But this one sided love I don’t know how much longer can I endure, for even though the flame inside me is cold, yet one day I will burn. I shall too fade away, obliterated by the heat of the time and love.

                                           “But act cautiously, my love,
                                            For this attractive warmth can burn,
                                            My love is true, but only you can eliminate the bluff,
                                            I don’t want you to die before you learn.”

Oh my Sunflower, I wish to be with you for one full day, but alas I don’t rule the day. For I am defeated daily by your “someone else”-The Sun. I know that you don’t have much time and neither do I. For how much longer can this solo reflective artist who has no light of its own, survive. You look at me only when I am at my prime, when my light shines the brightest. Only my one face you love.

                                            “Oh Sunflower,
                                            Why don’t you look at me?
                                            You say the Sun is your lover,
                                             I am just a moon and this is a silent goodbye to thee.”

Take care.

Yours lovingly,
Moon
Attachment:- A poor illustration

Comments